Friday, December 26, 2014

If you don't know, now you know…how to make easy zucchini noodles

Raw zucchini noodles with herbed avocado pesto
I know it's not right to love or need an object, but when it comes to some things in my kitchen, there are a few items that I would really not like to live without :) Right after my first two children: my chef knife and Vitamix, I have a new baby that I am so so glad my friend Laura turned me onto last year: the Spirooli™or Spiralizer™.  These bad ass slicers can turn vegetables into tasty noodles in seconds.  Let's be honest, slurping your vegetables in noodle form is probably the most fun way to eat vegetables.  Yes turning zucchini, squash, beets, and sweet potatoes into noodles is fun for me.

You can get these popular tools at any kitchen supply store.  I bought the Spirooli™for less than $20 at Bed Bath & Beyond.  


Even if you don't like zucchini, I would highly recommend trying them out on one of these great kitchen tools.  Once the zucchini turns into noodles, it has a mild taste and slightly crunchy consistency.    It does a seriously great job of absorbing liquids you choose to add to it.  I will usually cook my noodles by lightly sautéing them in olive oil or unrefined coconut oil for just a minute or two. I'll season them with salt and pepper to taste.  The cooked noodles shrink down quite a bit, so say you are cooking zucchini pasta for four people, you would probably want to buy five or six zucchini.  

Autoimmune-friendly Thai shrimp with zucchini noodles

Yield: 2 servings 
Ingredients:
12-16 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 Tbs coconut oil
2 large zucchini or squash, peeled
3 drops fish sauce
1 large clove of garlic, minced or grated
1/2 tsp fresh ginger, minced or grated
juice of 1/2 a lime
optional: green onion, thinly sliced, for garnish

(If you do not have an autoimmune condition and your body tolerates seeds and nightshades well, sprinkle 1/4 tsp red chili flakes and 1/2 tsp Eden Shake or white sesame seeds over finished product. Mix to combine.)

Procedure:
  1. In a medium sauté pan, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Once oil starts bubbling, add shrimp and cook for two minutes per side.  Immediately remove from heat and set aside.
  2. Make noodles using Spirooli™or Spiralizer™.  Cut them using kitchen shears so you do not wind up with foot-long noodles dangling from your mouth (unless you want to get adventurous re-inacting that Lady and the Tramp scene).  Set aside.
  3. In small mixing bowl, combine coconut aminos, fish sauce, garlic, ginger and lime.  Mix to combine.
  4. In a medium sauté pan over medium high heat, combine noodles and sauce.  Once noodles have softened and absorbed most liquid, approximately two minutes, toss in cooked shrimp.  Top with green onion and a lime wedge. Serve. 
Adapted from Diane Sanfilippo, "shrimp pad thai"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any comments? Share the love!