Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Be at peace with where you're at this year

photo by Katie Ring
"Wherever you are, be all there." -Jim Elliot  
Saw that perfect quote today and it reminded me to stay grounded (and to stop texting and driving…it's my worst habit!!) I apologize for being totally M.I.A. these past few weeks.  My start to the new year has been a whirlwind, but in the best way ever.  I unfortunately haven't had much time to sit down and reflect.  With a new year comes new pursuits, a changed mindset, and an "I can" attitude.  Even though I attempt to check in with myself on a regular basis, January is a great time to reconnect with what drives us or what we want to accomplish in the upcoming months and year.

I spoke with my cousin Barbara a couple weeks ago.  She is an acupuncturist, professor at Maryland University of Integrative Medicine and Zen student.  Towards the end of December, I was feeling slightly defeated, like my efforts were not being recognized.  She reminded me that winter is a time of hibernation.  As in nature, we put our energy into toughing it out through the cold weather. Instead of acting impulsively, it's important to be gentle with ourselves.  This was exactly what I needed to hear.  I have been trying to find answers to questions, "What am I looking for? Where do I want to move? Will I find a job in this new place? Should I move for a job?  Should I go back to school?" She said that in Chinese tradition, change often occurs in the spring, when we feel energized by winter's end and are ready for growth.  I felt inspired by our conversation and for once, at peace with where I'm at right now. I love San Francisco and being able to take a sunny hike in the middle of January. I love my jobs, and the comfort that comes with living with living at home. The answers will come, we just need to be open to receiving them.

This month has been truly special.  I kicked off 2015 in Cabo with one of my best friends, Jamie, and her family.  This last weekend I celebrated the marriage of two of my best friends- Megan and Tyler.  The icy Minnesota wedding felt more like a 6-year college-reunion with a bunch of our best friends partying together for a long weekend. Can this happen every year?! Working, traveling, taking care of myself, and catching up with family and friends during the celebrations. Life is moving full force in the right direction.  Living in these beautiful moments has given me greater appreciation for what truly matters to me: connecting.  I couldn't take these trips if it weren't for my job responsibilities that allow it (and I can honestly say I love where I work), however I don't live for "work"…I live for these beautiful moments where I embrace the beauty and love surrounding me. To anyone who is interested: be open to accepting the things that resonate most strongly with you.  Hold onto those magical moments; they are what make life wonderful! Share the love.

J and family in Cabo

Sven and me
Morgan, Megan and me at the rehearsal 

1 comment:

Have any comments? Share the love!