Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Homemade deodorant that actually works

Homemade deodorant?? Hmmmm…. you skeptics out there may think this sounds suspicious. On the contrary! This works so well, you can even wear it as a fragrance, and it doesn't leave marks on your clothing or residue on your skin.  Over the past couple years, I have been sifting through my beauty products, getting rid of most items with ingredient names I can't pronounce.  There is a lot of inconclusive evidence regarding aluminum and it's effect on our health. I personally try to limit my use of chemicals if I can avoid them because who really knows how we are affected by them.  According to Dr. Mercola, many antiperspirants and deodorants contain aluminum and other chemicals and preservatives like parabens and propylene glycol that are easily absorbed by the body.  These chemicals mimic the hormone estrogen, and therefore can lead to an increased risk of breast cancer.  While I have used many "natural" deodorant brands like Toms or Alba Botanica, I found that I personally have to reapply these products throughout the day to get the results I want.

When it comes to anything health and beauty, I often turn to my gorgeous cousin Audrey, a health-conscious esthetician, animal-lover and business owner.  Her super successful spray-tan business Sweetheart Tan was voted best spray tan by Allure Magazine this year! Audrey visited me in Vail last year to experience real powder riding. This badass chick is not only careful about what she puts in her body, but on her skin too.  This summer Audrey introduced me to her own inexpensive homemade deodorant which I have adapted here.

Check out this site for more natural deodorant options: http://www.reviews.com/natural-deodorant/


What you'll need:

1 shooter of Everclear® alcohol (or a 750 if you want to make your own limoncello too)
1 2-4oz spray bottle with cap, like this
Optional: a few drops of doTERRA essential oil
  1. Clean spray bottle.
  2. Fill with Everclear® leaving a little space at the top.
  3. Add a couple drops of your favorite essential oil.  I like doTERRA's lavender oil which you can find here
Penny Blensdorf from doTERRA turned me onto these oils.  You can find her Facebook page here: www.facebook.com/pennysessentials.  I like to use doTERRA's lavender essential oil as it's soothing for my skin and the fragrance is really calming.  If you use this spray everyday, twice a day, it will last for several months.  


References:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/10/17/aluminum-containing-antiperspirants-contribute-breast-cancer.aspx
http://ww5.komen.org/KomenPerspectives/Do-plastics,-body-care-products-or-deodorant-play-a-role-in-breast-cancer-risk--(April-2010).html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any comments? Share the love!